Practice addition and subtraction with these fun FREE printable math games! Download the Number Line Addition and Subtraction games today!
I enjoy creating fun, hands-on math games and activities for my kids to play. I hope that the printable games and math printables I made for my children will benefit you and your children/students! So, today I’ve got two games for you: the Number Line Addition game and the Number Line Subtraction game.
These games are a great way to reinforce basic addition, subtraction, and counting skills in a fun learning environment, especially when you pair them with Education Cubes!
Materials Needed for the Game:
- Dice labeled with +1, +2, and +3 (each on two sides) – We use our Education Cubes for this!
- Counters to move along the game board (one per player) – We use pieces from our Skyscraper Building Set OR our puff ball magnets and a cookie sheet.
- FREE Printable Number Line Addition / Subtraction Game Boards – laminated for durability (download instructions are below)
NOTE: The game boards (download instructions are below) are designed so that you can play up to 10 on the number line. However, you can make the game more challenging by extending the board to as much as 100 by simply taping the number lines together.
How to Play the Number Line Addition Game:
First, each player puts their counter at the beginning of the number line at 0. Taking turns, the players roll the die/cube and move their counter along the number line by advancing by the number rolled on the die/cube.
If Player A lands in the same space as Player B, then Player A takes Player B’s spot on the number line and Player B goes back to 0.
The first player to land on the last space of the number line wins! However, if the player goes past the end of the number line, they must go back to 0.
As you can see, there are lots of opportunities to practice adding and counting with this game!
How to Play the Number Line Subtraction Game:
The instructions for the Number Line Subtraction game are slightly different than those for the Number Line Addition game.
So, to begin the Numer Line Subtraction game, each player puts their counter at the END of the number line.
Taking turns, the players roll the die/cube and move their counter along the number line by moving BACKWARDS by the number rolled on the die/cube.
If Player A lands in the same space as Player B, then Player B goes back to the END of the number line.
The first player to land on 0 wins! However, if the player goes past the 0, they must go back to the end of the number line.
The Number Line Subtraction board game is a great way for kids to have fun reinforcing their subtraction and counting skills!
Looking for more ways to make math fun?
Be sure to check out even more of my math-themed games, printables, and activities below.
10 Days of Math Games & Activities:
This post was part of the 10 Days of…Series hosted by iHomeschool Network.
- Making Equations (Addition & Subtraction) Math Game
- Number Line Addition & Subtraction Math Game
- Guess the Coins Math Game
- Roll Hundreds & Roll Thousands (Place Value Math Game)
- Living Math Books: Reading as a Math Activity
- Circle Subtraction Math Game
- Grid Multiplication Math Game
- Making it Whole (Fractions Game)
- Off the Grid (Addition & Subtraction Game)
- Math Games for Family Game Night
Ready to download the FREE printable Number Line Addition and Subtraction math games? Click the button below to get access to the printable pdf file.
This post was originally published on April 17, 2012.
Leave a Reply