Whenever I am out with my kids, I am often asked the same general questions. I guess it is not everyday that you see a mom with two sets of twins! LOL!! This is usually how the conversation goes:
1) Are they all yours? Yes!
2) Are they [the older boys] twins? Yes!
3) Are they [the older boys] identical? Yes!
4) Wait, do you have two sets of twins? Yes!
5) Are they [the younger boys] identical? No, they are fraternal.
6) How does that [two sets of twins] happen?
SHORT ANSWER: When you already have a set of twins, the odds of having another set actually increases!
LONG ANSWER: God has a sense of humor! My grandmother had a set of twins, so I knew there was a chance I could have twins. I distinctly remember telling God that I didn’t mind having twins, I just wanted to start out with one…that way I wouldn’t “mess up” two kids (as a first time mom)! LOL! Well, apparently he heard me! I had my daughter followed by two sets of twins (with a miscarriage between the twins).
7) Are they natural? This is usually a “discrete” way of asking if we used fertility treatments.
SHORT ANSWER: Yes, the are natural!
LONG ANSWER: We did not use any sort of fertility treatments. They are all “natural.” In fact, I delivered four of my five kids completely natural…no pain medication/no epidural. After delivering one of the younger twins naturally, I had to deliver his brother via emergency cesarean.
8) What did you do when you found out you were having another set of twins?
SHORT ANSWER: I cried in complete shock!
LONG ANSWER: Well, without looking at the ultrasound monitor, my doctor (who also delivered my first set of twins) joked about me being pregnant with another set of twins. As she was slapping jelly on my belly, I glanced at the monitor (before she did) and gasped! In complete shock, I cried and my doctor laughed!
8) How does your daughter like having all those brothers? She likes being the princess, but wishes she had a sister to play with.
9) You’ve got your hands full! How do you do it? At the end of the day, I often ask myself the same question!
10) Are you going to try for another set of twins? The factory has been shut down! LOL!